Automatic channel select feature

Manu Gallego chboki at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 20 13:57:37 EST 2004

Hi all,

I was wondering if hostAP implements an automatic channel select
feature in the sense that it chooses the channel with the least
amount of interference and highest signal strength.  I read some
postings from a while ago, and it was said that it
does some form of this in host_roaming mode 1, where it performs
automatic scanning.  The question is whether it only scans channels
and associates with the AP providing the best signal strength? What
if I specify the MAC address of the AP I want the clients to connect
to? ( in my project, I am supporting raoming between 2 linux boxes
running hostAP)  Does  it then pick the channel with least amount
of noise to connect to this particular AP?  Either way, could somebody
please tell where this feature is implemented. (ie. the file name)

Also, I was wondering if hostAP has any kind of a system safety
tool(ie. watchdog timer), what it checks for,  and where I could
find its implementation in the code.

Thanx,

Manu