Signal quality/strength indication

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Sun Feb 1 12:09:59 EST 2004

On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 02:34:30PM +0000, Roy Badami wrote:

> When I connect to a public unencrypted AP, the signal strength and
> quality reported by iwconfig get updated automatically: successive
> calls to iwconfig display slight fluctuation in the figures, as one
> would expect.
>
> When I connect to my home AP (WPA-PSK), the signal quality and
> strength never change for the lifetime of the connection.  I can walk
> 50 yards, and the figures don't change by a single dB.

I have also noticed that signal quality numbers weren't changing when
using wpa_supplicant. However, I had not though much about it before.
This could be caused by use of roaming_mode=2 and not doing scan
requests that often.. You could try to run 'iwlist wlan0 scan' and see
whether the numbers are updated after that.

I might need to change wpa_supplicant to perform scanning more often.
Now it is done when the current AP is going out of range. Doing a new
scan automatically every N seconds should be OK. Just have to decide
what would be suitable value for N.