Signal quality/strength indication

Roy Badami roy at gnomon.org.uk
Sun Feb 1 09:34:30 EST 2004

When I connect to a public unencrypted AP, the signal strength and
quality reported by iwconfig get updated automatically: successive
calls to iwconfig display slight fluctuation in the figures, as one
would expect.

When I connect to my home AP (WPA-PSK), the signal quality and
strength never change for the lifetime of the connection.  I can walk
50 yards, and the figures don't change by a single dB.

(Haven't tried it with a WEP AP.)

I'm running a snapshot from Jaunary 4, FWIW.  Station firmware is
1.7.4

Is something broken in reporting signal quality with WPA?

	-roy