Only works if I use particular command line options.

Brande brande at novolab.de
Mon Dec 27 05:21:04 EST 2004

Nigel Cunningham wrote:

>Hi.
>
>On Mon, 2004-12-27 at 15:53, Jouni Malinen wrote:
>

>>On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 02:23:49PM +1100, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
>>

>>>My problem now is getting it to work in a bridge configuration. At the
>>>moment, my little test script looks like:
>>>

>>>                brctl addbr br0
>>>                ifconfig eth0 up
>>>                ifconfig ath0 up
>>>                ifconfig br0 up
>>>                brctl addif br0 ath0
>>>                brctl addif br0 eth0
>>>

>>This is not going to work.. IEEE 802.11 protocol does not support layer
>>2 bridging for a device that is in Managed mode because clients can only
>>transmit packets with their own address as the source MAC address.
>>

>Okay. The only solution is to use masquerading instead?
>
>Thanks and regards,
>
>Nigel

proxy arp might also help and some people thing there might be a
possibility with a special firmware for prism based cards oder you need
a complete version of the hcf library which controls every function of
the card and also allows accessing the card´s RAM. To get this full
version Lucent wants to know that it will be a financial win for them,
also you have to sign an NDA. So be sure that you won´t most probably
get access to this peace of software until Lucent does not change its
mind in this (which I doubt never will happen).
Another answer I've got was:
Tunnel your traffic through a virtual tunnel like cipe or vtun.  Vtun's
probably the easiest way to do it.
IP routing and WDS could also help maybe there is also a possibility
using the bridge filters but I have no idea how.

If you solve the problem please let me know how;)

Have fun,
    Brande