Problem bringing up Netgear WG511 interface

Neil Jerram neil at ossau.uklinux.net
Sat Dec 18 13:56:44 EST 2004

Hi there, I'm trying to bring up a wireless interface with the following
combination of hardware/environment/features.

Netgear WG511 v3.0 ("Made in China" - i.e. the version that doesn't work
with the prism54 driver)
Debian GNU/Linux (Knoppix -> Sarge)
Kernel 2.6.8
ndiswrapper 0.11
wpasupplicant 0.2.5
WPA encryption
The AP is a Netgear DG834G
DHCP so that the DG834G can give the WG511 its IP address, DNS etc.
There is a parallel wired link from the PC to the DG834G, in the same
subnet, on eth0

The immediate problem is that "ifup -v eth1" fails like this:

=======================
root at laruns:/home/neil# ifup -v eth1
Configuring interface eth1=eth1 (inet)
run-parts /etc/network/if-pre-up.d

pump -i eth1
Operation failed.
Failed to bring up eth1.
=======================

But the wider problem is that I have no idea if I'm doing things in the
right order - specifically the interaction of:

- ifup (and/or "ifconfig up" and/or "iwconfig" commands)
- pump, for the DHCP
- wpa_supplicant

In the ifup example above, I've had wpa_supplicant running for a long
time as a daemon before issuing the ifup command:

root at laruns:/home/neil# ps waux | grep wpa
root      8224  0.0  0.3  3112  496 ?        Ss   Dec15   0:07
wpa_supplicant -B w -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -ieth1 -Dndiswrapper

So, as a first pass at this problem, I wondered if anyone could spot any
fundamental problems with what I'm trying to do (e.g. use of DHCP, or
the parallel wired link); if not, then it would also be good if someone
could say whether my current order of events looks OK.

I'm quite happy to supply lots of detailed config and debug output, but
I thought I should check for any blatant problems first.

Many thanks!
	Neil