Does Hostap supports EAP-TTLS & EAP-PEAP authentication mechanism?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Wed Dec 15 01:43:52 EST 2004

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 08:49:50AM +0530, Preethi Mohan wrote:

>     I'm new to 802.1x standard .I'm learning about the
> authenticator.For this downloaded HostAP source code from the hostap
> site.From the readme I got the information that HostAP code supports
> EAP-MD5 & EAP-TLS and these two EAP types are tested also.
>
> But I want to clarify whether the hostap authenticator supports
> EAP-TTLS & EAP - PEAP authentication also?

The current development version of hostapd has support for EAP-MD5 and
EAP-TLS. However, hostapd can be used with an external authentication
server to provide EAP-TTLS and EAP-PEAP support. In addition, I will
likely add support for integrated EAP-TTLS and EAP-PEAP at some point.

You did not mention hostapd specifically, so some info about the other
parts.. The client part of Host AP project, i.e., wpa_supplicant, does
support both EAP-TTLS and EAP-PEAP in the current release.

> If not is there any change required in the authenticator side to
> support TTLS & PEAP.Or changes are required only in client and server
> side?

When using an external server, no changes are needed in the
authenticator.

> Also Can I use RADIUS & XSupplicant to test TTLS&PEAP?

Yes.