Host AP/hostapd/wpa_supplicant - new development release v0.3.0

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Thu Dec 9 23:56:12 EST 2004

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 09:55:56PM +0100, Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:

> wpa_supplicant-0.3.0 does not compile with CONFIG_PCSC=y here. Looks
> like the struct eap_sm changes were not applied to eap_aka_umts_auth()
> and eap_sim_gsm_auth(). I've written a small patch (attached) to deal
> with this, but I am not sure it is the correct fix. I can not verify it
> since I do not have the hardware needed.

Thanks for the report! I have indeed not been testing with PCSC lately
and this was missed when doing the struct eapol_sm hiding changes for
EAP. eapol_ctx is not same as scard_ctx, so the fix required some more
changes in the code to get scard_ctx into eap_sm. This is now in CVS.

> Also, since my pkg-config patch was not included, I suggest adding
> '-I/usr/include/PCSC' to the 'CFLAGS += -DPCSC_FUNCS' line in order to
> enable compiling against pcsc-lite-1.2.9_beta3 and newer.

I haven't yet had chance to go through the pkg-config details, so I
added this include dir as a temporary solution.

> Oh, and in order to compile the madwifi driver one still needs to
> specify the include directory for the madwifi-driver headers. This
> requirement is still listed in the README, but the line was removed from
> the Makefile.

README was not updated; fixed. This addition to include directories is
now supposed to be in .config (see defconfig for an example).

> PS: Gentoo users can find a preliminary ebuild for wpa_supplicant-0.3.0
> including the above mentioned changes in my overlay at:
> http://dev.gentoo.org/~brix/files/overlay/net-wireless/wpa-supplicant/

This could be changed to not modify Makefile (and require sys-apps/sed).
You are creating .config anyway and all these CFLAGS+= lines could be
added there. Same for CC, I would assume.

Is there any particular reason for using libpcap/libdnet? The integrated
native Linux implementation for packet sockets is slightly smaller and
does not require external libraries.

"use ssl" could also add CONFIG_PKCS12=y for PKCS#12 (PFX) support.

LICENSE should probably be "BSD GPL-2" since all the core code is under
dual license or is GPL-2 because of driver_atmel.c being under GPL
(not GPL-2 only, though)?

If "dosbin" is copying files to /{,usr/}/sbin, you could consider moving
wpa_cli and wpa_passphrase into something that is by default on non-root
user path (which I would assume sbin is not). wpa_supplicant can be
configured to provide control interface access to non-root users and at
least I like to have wpa_cli on path for easy access to status
information from wpa_supplicant.