hostapd cvs 07-12-2004 Broken??

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Tue Dec 7 23:03:44 EST 2004

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 04:38:48PM +0000, Steve wrote:

> It may help if I explain what I am doing a little bit.

Indeed.. That would have been useful information in the first message,
and let me repeat once more: please always include error log from the
compiler when reporting this kind of problems. I'm more likely to ignore
reports on the lines of "it does not work" if there are no details of
exactly what does not work and some log files etc. to show the problem.

> I get the CVS repository then use the build_gpl_release script to create
> tarballs which I locate in an external source directory.

This is something that is not at all supported. build_gpl_release gets
little, if any, testing between releases. I update it with the needed
changes when doing a release and then test the end results, but that's
about it. All bets are off when trying to use this from the development
branch.

> It seems a little bit odd. That in order to compile hostapd I must have
> wpa_supplicant source installed, for the inclusion of a single file.

If you are building a CVS release from a checked out tree, you do indeed
need to have both directories checked out. When you are building a
released hostapd tarball, you do not need wpa_supplicant; the required
files are included in the hostapd tarball.

> The offending bit of code in the hostapd Makefile is
>
> ifdef TLS_FUNCS
> # Shared TLS functions (needed for EAP_TLS, EAP_PEAP, and EAP_TTLS)
> CFLAGS += -DEAP_TLS_FUNCS
> OBJS += eap_tls_common.o $(DIR_WPA_SUPPLICANT)/tls_openssl.o
> LIBS += -lssl -lcrypto
> LIBS_p += -lcrypto
> else
> OBJS += $(DIR_WPA_SUPPLICANT)/tls_none.o
> endif

There's nothing wrong here.. The exact problem would have been clearly
visible from the compiler error message which you unfortunately left
out. tls_none.c was not copied to hostapd tarball even though it is now
needed. This is now fixed in CVS.

> Alternativly adding this files which serves more than one package
> hostap-utils would seem a more sensible option ??
> Maybe this could be a good call for a hostap-lib ??

Over time, hostapd and wpa_supplicant will likely share more and more
code. At the moment, the files in CVS are in somewhat odd places
depending on where they were needed first. They may move to a 'lib'
directory and become a separate library at some point, but I don't see
any urgency in doing this before there's a good plan for cleaning up the
repository part, too.