Interfering cells

Vinayak Naik naik at cse.ohio-state.edu
Fri Aug 27 09:50:45 EDT 2004

I have configured my /etc/pcmica/wireless.opt in the following manner.
#SCHEME=""
if [ -f /etc/wireless-scheme ]; then
   #SCHEME=`cat /etc/wireless-scheme`
   . /etc/wireless-scheme
fi

case "$SCHEME,$ADDRESS" in
ixswmesh,*,*,*,*)
    ESSID="IXSWMESH"
    MODE="Ad-Hoc"
    CHANNEL="1"
    RATE="2M fixed"
    KEY="1234ABCD1234ABCD1234ABCD12"
    IWCONFIG="txpower 30mW"
    ;;
*,*,*,*,*)
    ESSID=""
    MODE="Ad-Hoc"
    CHANNEL=""
    RATE=""
    KEY=""
    IWCONFIG=""
    ;;
esac

After connecting the card, the output of the iwconfig is essid=test,
mode=ad-hoc, channel=2.422G  I am able to form an ad-hoc network of 2 more
more PCs with the same essid, mode, and channel.

Since yesterday, my neighbor has started using his AP with essid=linksys,
channel=2.437G, mode=Master. Now when I plug in the wireless card in my,
the output of the iwconfig is
wlan0     IEEE 802.11b  ESSID:"linksys"  Nickname:"stargate-6"
          Mode:Ad-Hoc  Frequency:2.437GHz  Cell: 00:0C:41:67:B4:28
          Bit Rate:2Mb/s   Sensitivity=1/3
          Retry min limit:8   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0/92  Signal level:-73 dBm  Noise level:-89 dBm
          Rx invalid nwid:0  invalid crypt:0  invalid misc:0
If I try to use iwconfig to change essid to test and frequency to 2.422G,
it fails.

Could you please let me know how to form my own network with essid=test,
mode=ad-hoc, and freq=2.422G even in the presence of a AP with the above
mentioned configuration in the neighborhood?