firmware documentation.

Epelde Gorka GEpelde at ikerlan.es
Thu Sep 11 02:42:11 EDT 2003

The firmware is given by intersil and can't be changed. The driver talks
with the firmware in a command way. The firmware is in some way waiting for
orders from the driver. Then for the information movement it uses a virtual
memory access called "bap". When the the firmware wants to tell something to
the driver it interrupts the host (the driver) and the host reads the kind
of interrupt (Information, RX, ...) This is moreless how it works. Anyway
thats how the linux-wlan (what i have been analising)work but in hostap i
think moreless is the same. Maybe the commands change and it has to load a
tertiary firmware.

I've been looking through souces and i think the file is
/hostap-0.0.4/driver/modules/hostap_hw.c

That is in someway like the hfa384x.c file in the linux-wlan driver.
In this file the driver access to the firmware are in 2-3 levels, from
"high" level to direct access.

I haven't found anything document around there, i've just been trying to go
through the driver and understand it.

Good Luck

Gorka Epelde