Management Frames prioritized ?

Sorin PAUN Laurentiu-Sorin.Paun at imag.fr
Wed Oct 15 07:48:22 EDT 2003

Do the management frames (Probe, Auth, Assoc Req/Resp) are prioritized
in rapport with data frames in the driver?

More exactly, if an AP has data traffic to transmit to its associated
stations, does it have a queue in the driver or in the firmware? Do we
have some control on the size or can we perform operations on this
queue? And if it is receiving a Probe Request, does the Probe Response
frame bypass the data traffic queue?

In the opposite direction, if a station has data traffic to transmit and
if I request it to do a scan, does it wait to transmit the data frames
before to send the Probe Requests?

The second question is not relied to this driver specifically, but are
the management frames prioritized in some way at the MAC level? I found
some 802.11 tutorials that claimed that stations that have management
frames to transmit wait only a SIFS and in this way they are prioritized
in rapport with other stations that are issuing data traffic, but I
think that in the 802.11 protocol it is stated that all STA have to wait
a DIFS when transmitting a frame...

Sorin PAUN                           mailto:Laurentiu-Sorin.Paun at imag.fr

Doctorant INPG                             http://drakkar.imag.fr/~lpaun

Laboratoire LSR-IMAG, Equipe Drakkar
681, rue de la Passerelle - BP 72          phone: (+33) (0)4 76 82 72 12
38402 St Martin d'Hères Cedex - France       fax: (+33) (0)4 76 82 72 87