hostapd-0.1.0 problem

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Sun Nov 9 20:40:48 EST 2003

On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 02:13:58PM +0800, Min Zou wrote:

> I recently upgraded hostap packages (in Debian) to the following:
> - hostap-source  0.1.2
> - hostap-util    0.1.2
> - hostapd        0.1.0

OK, those work in my tests.. Which kernel version are you using? Do you
have any patches in it? Which Linux wireless extensions version
(include/linux/wireless.h)?

> The access point is working, but I can't start "hostapd". Here is the error
> message:
>
> # hostapd -d /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
> Configuration file: /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
> ioctl[PRISM2_IOCTL_PRISM2_PARAM]: Operation not supported

hostapd was unable to use an ioctl to configure the kernel driver. Could
you please verify that the wireless extensions are working correctly
with wireless-tools? For example, run following commands and report any
errors:

iwpriv wlan0 hostapd 1
# (or if your iwpriv is too old: iwpriv wlan0 prism2_param 34 1)
# this is the same ioctl that failed with hostapd

iwpriv wlan0

iwconfig wlan0