weird problems with 0.0.2

Jussi Mäki valen at kone.ihanaa.org
Thu May 8 10:33:55 EDT 2003

I've run into some weird problems when changing rate at AP-end.. If I lock
the rate to 5.5M, hostap-clients are unable to receive, once I change rate
back to auto it'll start working again.. With orinoco cards the AP works
just fine.. Also it sometimes refuses to authenticate hostap-clients and
it just keeps trying to reconnect:

wlan1: 00:60:b3:76:8e:ac auth_cb - frame was not ACKed
wlan1: 00:60:b3:76:8e:ac auth (alg=0 trans#=1 stat=0 len=6 fc=00b0) ==> 0
(authOK)
wlan1: 00:60:b3:76:8e:ac auth_cb - frame was not ACKed
wlan1: 00:60:b3:76:8e:ac auth (alg=0 trans#=1 stat=0 len=6 fc=00b0) ==> 0
(authOK)

This can be fixed by resetting the client card (with iwpriv reset 1) so
the problem doesnt seem to be at the AP-end.

And i've also come across another weird problem, the client receives
hunderds of duplicate packets, and this only happens with hostap-client,
the AP still works fine with orinoco. No idea what's causing this, though
I think it has something to do with the authentication as it's outputting
lots of similiar messages as above. This seems to be a problem at the AP
as resetting the client cards doesnt help.

Also there's been problems when the driver tries to reset the card:

wlan0: hfa384x_set_rid: CMDCODE_ACCESS_WRITE failed (res=-4, rid=fc00, len=2)
wlan0: Port type setting to 6 failed
wlan0: MAC port 0 enabling failed

And I'm forced to reset the card again with iwpriv wlan0 reset 1. This
seems to happen quite often, especially if there's lots of traffic.

Seems like others hadnt had nearly as much problems as i've had.. The
cards dont stay up for even a day, I have to reset them daily to make them
work somehow.. And I've used these on a large variety of machines and
pcmcia-bridges and all of them have had the same problems.

Oh and BTW, the cards that i've been using are zcom 300's, 325's, and
325H's.