ifconfig segfaults while getting up wlan0

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Wed May 7 14:05:29 EDT 2003

On Wed, 7 May 2003, Christian Lauterbach wrote:

> I encountered a strange problem while trying to setup HostAP on
> my router. The hostap driver is loading flawlessly while booting
> the kernel (I used the hostap kernel patch and compiled the kernel
> with it, messages seem okay, see below), I can also use iwconfig
> to configure the settings of wlan0, "ifconfig wlan0" also works.

Most people compile drivers as modules.  It seems that you have compiled
them into the kernel.  There is a small probability that the bug is
triggered by this fact.  It would be interesting to see what happens if
the driver is compiled as module.  Use "modprobe hostap_pci" to load it.

> The problem is that I can't get the interface up with ifconfig, since
> everytime I try to set something to wlan0 (e.g. "ifconfig wlan0 up",
> but also "ifconfig wlan0 192.168.0.2") with ifconfig, it crashes with a
> segfault and causes an oops like this
>
> May  7 17:10:39 router kernel: Call Trace:    [<c025d89c>] [<c025ebf1>] [<c028ed65>] [<c02913f7>] [<c025701c>]
> May  7 17:10:39 router kernel:   [<c014345b>] [<c0106f0b>]

Please run all that text through ksymoops:
http://www.de.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/ksymoops/v2.4/ksymoops-2.4.9.tar.bz2

This needs to be done on your system with your kernel.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin