JoinRequest without Scan ?

Laurentiu-Sorin Paun Laurentiu-Sorin.Paun at imag.fr
Mon May 5 05:52:23 EDT 2003

Hello,

I am working on a load balancing architecture which allow mobile hosts to know
about the current load of different access points and to handoff from one AP
to another in order to have more bandwith available.

In order to do that, I use the roaming mode 2 of HostAP driver:
prism2_param wlan0 host_roaming 1

and after that  I specify the target AP with:
 iwconfig wlan0 ap <MAC>

The problem is that specifying the "preferred ap" parameter with iwconfig will
actually initiate a scan,  the "preferred ap" parameter is used to take
preference over the scan results, and the JoinRequest is done to the
"preferred ap" if it apperas in tha scan results list.

But the scan is a time consuming procedure (between 150 and 400 ms, in
function of the number of channels scanned and the activity on each of these
channels), and the JoinRequest (authentication and association) time is only
about 10-20 ms. Knowing the JoinRequest parameters (MAC addr, channel, Essid),
would it be possible to on mobile client to do the JoinRequest without
initiate a scan? DO you see any solution to do that (by example, memorize the
APs' infos from one previous scan and use this when iwconfig wlan0 ap
<preferredMAC> is invoked) What parts of the driver I should modify?

Thanks,

Sorin PAUN                           mailto:Laurentiu-Sorin.Paun at imag.fr
Doctorant INPG                             http://drakkar.imag.fr/~lpaun

Laboratoire LSR-IMAG, Equipe Drakkar
681, rue de la Passerelle - BP 72          phone: (+33) (0)4 76 82 72 12
38402 St Martin d'Hères Cedex - France       fax: (+33) (0)4 76 82 72 87

Laurentiu-Sorin PAUN                 mailto:Laurentiu-Sorin.Paun at imag.fr