SMC2632W Version01.02 with HostAP

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Mon Jun 30 19:58:18 EDT 2003

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Vaidehi Kasarekar wrote:

> I have SMC2632W, "Version 01.02" card. I am trying to
> configure it on my 2.4.18-3 kernel.

Some SMC2632W cards come with very old firmware, which is barely
functional.

> Jun 30 14:42:54 vaidehi kernel: wlan0: STA: id=0x1f
> v0.7.6

That's very old.  You need to upgrade the firmware.  The latest firmware
for your card is 1.4.9.  It was discussed recently.  Check the list
archives.

By the way, please use dmesg for kernel messages.  Its output is much more
readable, and it includes some debug messages that klogd may omit.

> AND THEY TOLD THAT PATCH WEv13 AND WEv14 ARE NEEDED
> FOR KERNEL 2.4.18-3. AM I GETTING THIS ERROR, BECAUSE
> I HAVE NOT APPLIED THE PATCH?

Please don't write in all capitals.  The errors you are experiencing are
from the old firmware.  The WE patches are not required for basic
functionality.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin