Questions with wep keys for WinXP

Haidong Xia hdxia1 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 24 10:45:38 EDT 2003

Hi,

So, if WinXP recieves only the unicast key, it will use it to send any
frames out.  If I only configure an
AP to support unicast key for each station, but the
default_wep_key(broadcast) is none(no encryption), the broadcast frames from
an AP should not be encrypted.  Will WinXP accept the broadcast frame
without encryption?  What is the reason why DHCP request can not go through
under such situation?

The reason I am asking this is that I want to only enable the unicast key
for each station. So that HostAP can support 802.1x clients, and also
support a station without using 802.1x.  For the station without 802.1x
support, there will be no encryption at all.

Thanks.
Haidong