Ad-Hoc & WDS

Mike Saywell ms at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Jun 9 00:38:18 EDT 2003

On Sun, Jun 08, 2003 at 07:28:52PM -0700, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 01:56:00AM +0100, Mike Saywell wrote:
>
> > If I set other_ap_policy to 3 then shouldn't I get WDS links for other
> > nodes in Ad-Hoc mode?
>
> I think you should be able to run one node in Master mode with
> other_ap_policy=3 and autom_ap_wds=1. This node would add WDS links to
> all ad-hoc nodes (that are sending beacons). If this node would then
> send something to all new WDS links (e.g., STP hello messages) and
> ad-hoc nodes are running with autom_ap_wds=1, you will end up having
> links set up automatically. Anyway, this is not probably exactly what
> you want, but I think it is closest to what you can get currently.

Does it work with non hostap cards in adhoc mode though?

I've got a box running hostap in master mode, with other_ap_policy=3
and autom_ap_wds=1, plus a laptop and orinoco card in adhoc mode.

On the hostap box it detects and creates the wds interface fine, but I
can't get any traffic exchanged between the 2 machines. :(

If i set the essid of the ad-hoc orinoco card to match that on the AP then
I can exchange packets but via the wlan0 interface, *not* the wds one.

I'm running 1.1.1/1.5.6. firmware and 0.0.3 hostap.

Cheers,

Mike