Performance degradation with WEP enabled

Jihong Kim jkim at ndosatech.com
Thu Jan 30 11:09:27 EST 2003

** note - what I mean by host-based enc/decryption is WEP
encryption/decryption performed solely on the host-CPU without using WEP
enc/decryption feature on hardware or PRISM chip.

The NIC that I used to build the host AP for this performance test is
SMC2602W (PLX card that uses SMC2632W PCMCIA card.)  I believe this card
uses PRISM 2 chipset.

The host CPU that was used to build a host AP (using the SMC2602W) is
Pentium 4, 1.4GHz.  The OS for host AP is Redhat Linux v7.2.

I used the host-based encryption/decryption (which I believe is the
default, when you enable WEP with 'iwconfig wlan0 key xxxx-xxxx-xx'
command.).

In the same test environment, I switched the host AP with Linksys AP
(WAP 11 version 2.2), and I did the performance test again (Open system,
WEP 64, WEP 128).  In this test, there was no difference in throughput
rate between different security modes.  The rate was around 4.9 Mbps for
open, WEP64, and WEP 128.  I performed this test to see if anything
other than host AP could have contributed to the performance gap between
open mode and WEP 64 in the host AP performance test.  However, with the
findings from the Linksys AP performance test, it seems most likely that
the host-based encryption/decryption (as opposed to hardware
enc/decryption) would have contributed to the performance loss in host
AP performance test.

Question 1> Any opinion on this issue?

Question 2> Jouni, you said you've seen near 6 Mbps throughput rate with
host-based enc/decryption.  Can you tell me how you've got 6 Mbps?  What
was its environment (host CPU, NIC used to build host AP, etc.)?

I'm interested in how to boost performance with host-based
enc/decryption, which, in my opinion, is likely to hurt the throughput
rate.

Thanks in advance.

- Jihong