prism2 routing table issues

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Wed Jan 29 00:02:15 EST 2003

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 11:52:57AM +0800, Travis Read wrote:

> I'm finding the the hostap driver and the orinoco driver both work fine
> for a while. But after an unknown time period the route table goes away:

> eth1: MAC address 00:60:1D:1B:F9:AD

> wlan0: dropped received packet from 00:60:1d:1b:f9:ad with no ToDS flag
> (type=0x02, subtype=0x00)
> wlan0: RX status=0x2000 (port=0, type=1, fcserr=0) silence=0 signal=81
> rate=20 rxflow=0; jiffies=1715
>    FC=0x0008 (type=2:0) dur=0x0000 seq=0x0000 data_len=68
>    A1=ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff A2=00:60:1d:1b:f9:ad A3=00:00:00:00:00:00
> wlan0: prism2_close

Your Orinoco card seemed to have sent a broadcast data frame that the
Host AP driver dropped since it was adhoc frame. This should not cause
such problems that you described. Something set wlan0 interface down
after this. I don't think there is any code in Host AP driver that could
do this, so I would assume that it was some unknown user space program.

How do you configure IP addresses for wlan0 and eth1? Could you have,
e.g., DHCP client in the background setting interfaces down after some
timeout?

> after it ways prism2_close the entire route table for pcmcica devices goes
> away and I'm left with:

Setting the interface down will remove all routing entries using that
interface, so this is quite expected.

> I'm not 100% sure this is a problem with the hostap driver but I'm still
> lost and can't figure out whats broken. What am I missing? Is it the
> firmware?

I don't think this is Host AP driver, firmware, or hardware issue. It
sounds more like something setting interfaces down for some odd reason.
I can only come up with DHCP client as an example for now, but there
might be other programs doing it, too.