debian 3.0 kernel 2.4.20 hostap wep problem

Paul Vanovertveld pvvv at a1.net
Fri Feb 28 05:23:27 EST 2003

Hello,

I am using debian 3.0, from the testing tree I grabbed the
hostap-source. After compiling an new kernel, pcmcia-module and hostap I
am able to run my little AP. I am using a Netgear 401 PCMCIA Card
(Firmware 1.3.4) Everything works fine, but when I try to enable WEP I
get the following error

# iwconfig wlan0 s:12345
wlan0: could not initialize WEP: load module hostap_crypt_wep.o
Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) :
	SET faild on device wlan0 ; Operation not supported.

This is strange, because on an W2k laptop WEP is working and when I use
the orinoco driver I am also able to use WEP.
Any ideas? It is more than possible that I made something wrong :-)

thanks in Advance

Paul