Intel(R) PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3A Mini PCI Adapter

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Wed Dec 17 22:45:28 EST 2003

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 10:32:19PM -0000, Charlie Grosvenor wrote:

> would like my wireless network to be secured using wep encryption. I am so
> far unable to get this to work, when i set up the encryption on the linux
> box as per the documentation that comes with hostap, i am then unable to
> connect using the laptop. I am running Windows XP on the laptop, has anybody
> else experienced this problem? If so what is the solution?

Please describe the steps you used to configure WEP for the  AP and the
client. How did you enter the WEP key? As an ASCII or hex string? Are
you sure it was configured in the same for both the AP and the client?
Did you use more than one key? Which key index did you use? Please note
that WinXP is likely to use index 1..4 whereas Host AP uses 0..3. What
do you mean by being unable to connect? Do you get any messages from
Host AP driver in kernel log (see 'dmesg' output)?