card initialization+firmware problems

Elias Tsigoyannis a99-4427 at students.ee.upatras.gr
Sat Aug 30 15:16:26 EDT 2003

After reading Jun Sun's mini-HOWTO on flashing Intersil Prism chipsets (
http://linux.junsun.net/intersil-prism/ ) I
found out that the latest Primary Firmware for platform 8003 is 0.3.0 and
the latest secondary firmware is 1.5.6.
I was wondering whether somebody could get the latest intersil drivers from

http://intersil.accent-graphics.net/design/prism/ss/crack-n-peel/prod-drvr/I
SL3PRDSUIT-EXE_WIN_(1-7-29).exe
and extract the flash version for the secondary firmware 1.7.1 for platform
8003.  I have seen some instructions
at http://mail.iocaine.com/pipermail/hostap/2002-November/000295.html but I
think that they just extract the ram
version of the firmware ( I want the flashable version). I don't have linux
installed so I am unable to follow these
instructions.

I have found somewhere in the web the file r1010701.hex which I attach in my
e-mail. Can somebody tell me
what this is? I think that this is the ram version of secondary firmware
1.7.1 but can someone test it? (I don't
know to download ram firmwares using windows).

I also found at http://www.netgate.com/support/prism_firmware/1.4.9.zip a
file that describes the differences
between every secondary firmware version for PCI cards from 1.0.0 to 1.4.9.
Does anyone know if the same ones
apply for PCMCIA cards,too? Does anyone have the corresponding files until
secondary version 1.7.4? What are
the differences between the primary and the tertiary versions?

Finally, I would like to say something that has to do with my problem, which
is stated below as well as in another
message in the same thread. I read in the web that setting RID createIBSS
(FC81) to 1 works only on firmwares
after 1.3.6 (I think). I have tried it setting to 0, too (since I am
interested only in ad hoc mode) however I had no
success. The same problems continued appearing. Is there a possibility that
the problem doesn't have to do with the
secondary firmware but with something else? (eg. primary firmware, tertiary
firmware, etc) Can someone help me?

Thanks again,
Elias Tsigoyannis