prism cards

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Tue Aug 19 20:51:10 EDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 08:10:36AM -0700, Greg Johnson wrote:

>   It seems to me that the disappearance of Prism-based cards represents a
> threat to the whole hostap project.

>   What (if anything) can be done to encourage the continued viability of this
> great project by protecting the availability of the hardware required for it?

I do not see disappearance of Prism2/2.5/3-based cards as a major threat
for something like Host AP project; it's more like a fact of life.. Old
hardware will be replaced at some point when newer, cheaper or
technically superior, products become available. Prism2/2.5/3 does not
have a superior (far from it) interface to the host system, there are
other cards with much better design. I would find it much more
productive to add support for other wlan chipsets than to artificially
keep alive aging technology.