HostAP Digest, Vol 4, Issue 33

Haidong Xia hdxia1 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 18 09:57:40 EDT 2003

Dear all,

Can anyone explain to me how HostAP set up a default wep key ? Since I don't
have a hardware manual of prism2 card, I am a little confused, when I read
the code of WEP key setting under HostAP.

The basic question is: When HostAP sets up a default wep key, a WinXP client
automatically detects this access point has a default wep key. How a WinXP
client know an Access Point has a WEP key, right after association?

I am doing an experiment to allow both of clients using Wep key, or not
using wep key to get access to an Access point. But WinXP client keeps
saying there is a wep key, and just wants to use a Wep key, even I didn't
set up a key for it.

Is there a way to set up a default wep key in HostAP, but WinXP client will
not detect it?  So that a user can configure the client freely with or with
WEP key?   Of course, at hostAP side, it can detect a
frame is encrypted or not, and deal with it correspondingly.

Thanks for any point.
Haidong