Are there other sources of unresolved symbols?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Thu Aug 14 22:22:28 EDT 2003

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 08:24:18PM -0400, James B. Hiller wrote:

> /sbin/insmod /lib/modules/2.4.21/net/hostap_crypt_wep.o
>
> produces
>
> /lib/modules/2.4.21/net/hostap_crypt_wep.o:  unresolved symbol hostap_register_crypto_ops_Rsmp_a6d832d1

hostap_crypt_wep.o uses functions that are defined in hostap.o and it
cannot thus be loaded before hostap.o.

> Note that I was not using modprobe to load these, but rather insmod
> (remember, no expert at kernel modules).  Also note that my rc.local
> script does in fact include two subsequent insmods for the other two
> hostap modules produced, but these do not generate any errors (granted,
> however, that I should be doing
>
> modprobe /lib/modules/2.4.21/net/hostap

Assuming your module dependencies are configured properly, it should be
enough to run:

modprobe hostap_pci

and if you need to manually load WEP algorithm, you can also run

modprobe hostap_crypt_wep

If you want to use insmod, you will need to first load hostap.o and then
hostap_pci.o or hostap_crypt_wep.o (order of these two last ones does
not matter). In addition, Host AP driver requests hostap_crypt_wep.o
module automatically, so you should not even need to load it manually.
You can also setup /etc/modules.conf to automatically load hostap_pci
when you try to use wlan0 interface.