Seeting up access point - can detect signal

Madhusudan Singh chhabra at eecs.umich.edu
Thu Aug 7 14:09:18 EDT 2003

Hi
    Thanks to all, especially Pavel for responding.

    I have a Netgear MA311 PCI card installed and properly recognized on
my desktop machine. I compiled hostap-0.0.4 and also the hostapd daemon
(my /etc/hostapd.conf is at the end of this email).
    I am trying to set up this card as an Access Point.

    My client is a properly configured and working Netgear MA401 PCMCIA
card in my notebook. (see
http;//www.eecs.umich.edu/~chhabra/netgearwireless.html ).

    I get the following messages on console on the DHCP server :

Received 30 bytes management frame
MGMT
mgmt::auth
authentication: STA=cl:cl:cl:cl:cl:cl auth_alg=0 auth_transaction=1
status_code=0 wep=0
Unsupported authentication algorithm (0)
authentication reply: STA=cl:cl:cl:cl:cl:cl auth_alg=0
auth_transaction=2 resp=13

cl:cl:cl:cl:cl:cl are the hex bits of the correct MAC address of my
client Netgear card. (obfuscated here for security).

    On the client, my wireless link monitor shows a signal strength of
about 89 % and /sbin/iwconfig indicates the correct MAC address (I hope
its not my neighbour's access point but the essid is "something" on both
client and server and that gives me some confidence !) in the Access
Point o/p. That means that it is picking up the signal from my desktop.
But I can't seem to use ssh or anything like that.

    What could be wrong ? A misconfiguration of the DHCP server ? (I am
using two different subnets - one (192.168.0.1/24) for the crossover
cable and the other (10.0.0.1/24) for the wireless).)
    One ancillary question - when I use WEP, what extra stuff do I need
to do for the client ?

Any hints would be welcome.

Thanks,

MS.

-----------/etc/hostapd.conf---------------------------------

interface=wlan0
logger_syslog=-1
logger_syslog_level=2
logger_stdout=-1
logger_stdout_level=2
debug=2
dump_file=/tmp/hostapd.dump
daemonize=1
ssid=something
macaddr_acl=1
auth_algs=0
minimal_eap=0
eap_message=hello
wep_key_len_broadcast=13
eapol_key_index_workaround=0
own_ip_addr=127.0.0.1 (should this be 10.0.0.1 ??)