problems with 0.0.4 and gcc-3.2/3.3

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Sun Aug 3 13:48:21 EDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 10:56:30PM -0400, Francois Gurin wrote:

> I've been working on 0.0.4 for a few days now and have encountered
> problems compiling hostap with gcc 3.2 and 3.3.  When i use 2.95
> everything works as expected.
> I had thought 3.2 was working fine until fairly recently.

Did you compile your kernel with the exact same gcc version? I have been
using gcc v3.2.3 without any problems.

> 3.3 shows the attached errors when compiling.
> when the module loads, the kernel panics and the system becomes unstable.

gcc 3.3 is quite new and it might have issues compiling Linux kernel.
All the warning messages seemed to have been from kernel headers, not
from Host AP code. I would tend to not care about gcc 3.3 yet unless you
can report that everything else is working fine in your kernel (i.e.,
everything compiled with gcc 3.3) and it is only Host AP driver that
shows issues.

> Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000000
>  printing eip:
> c0114462
> *pde = 00000000
> Oops: 0002
> CPU:    0
> EIP:    0010:[<c0114462>]    Not tainted

Please always try to resolve addresses in kernel oops messages with
ksymoops. See Linux kernel Documentation/oops-tracing.txt for more
details. Without this, the oops messages are usually quite useless.