PCF mode in HostAP

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Wed Apr 23 19:18:34 EDT 2003

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, Jouni Malinen wrote:

> OK, so it is available in some firmware versions. However, I would
> assume that CNFAPPCFINFO rid is only available in AP tertiary firmware
> and there is no way of using it in Host AP mode.

You are right.  It is possible that CNFSTAPCFINFO (0xFC35) could affect
HostAP master mode, but I don't know.  It should affect HostAP driver in
managed mode.  PCF has to be enabled on the station side too, by
requesting to be on the poll list.

> No.. iwpriv set_rid_word is not the only interface for RID access.
> get_rid and set_rid "sub-ioctls" are already implemented in the private
> "hostapd" ioctl.

I assumed that hostapd has to be enabled for that.  After looking at the
code, it turns out I was wrong.  However, iwpriv would be much easier to
use from shell scripts.

> They can read/write RIDs of any size. hostap_diag uses get_rid, but
> there is no example program for using set_rid. In addition, many RID
> values need to be updated after hardware reset, so it might be necessary
> to add some additional mechanism for that, too.

Correct.  One possible solution would be to keep a list of "persistent
RIDs" that were set by the user.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin