PCF mode in HostAP

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Tue Apr 22 23:13:52 EDT 2003

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 10:18:30PM -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:

> There is Intersil firmware with PCF support, and linux-wlan-ng supports it
> if the necessary RIDs are present.  Look for "pcf settings ignored" in
> prism2mgmt.c.

OK, so it is available in some firmware versions. However, I would
assume that CNFAPPCFINFO rid is only available in AP tertiary firmware
and there is no way of using it in Host AP mode.

> It should be possible to program the MAC from userspace to use PCF.
> However, HostAP doesn't seem to provide the interface for that.  It should
> be possible to set and read every byte in every RID.  "iwpriv
> set_rid_word" is insufficient because it's write only and affects only two
> first bytes,

No.. iwpriv set_rid_word is not the only interface for RID access.
get_rid and set_rid "sub-ioctls" are already implemented in the private
"hostapd" ioctl. They can read/write RIDs of any size. hostap_diag uses
get_rid, but there is no example program for using set_rid. In addition,
many RID values need to be updated after hardware reset, so it might be
necessary to add some additional mechanism for that, too.