Recommended PCI / PLX cards?

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Fri Apr 18 12:06:34 EDT 2003

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003, Thomas Schreiner wrote:

> Hello all,
> I've been looking for a document listing recommended PCI- or PLX cards
> or at last a list of hostap-capable / non-capable cards. Does anyone
> have a link to such a document or can you tell me which cards you use
> and if the range is ok?
> Most companies seem to divert away from using the prism chipset, so I am
> not sure which device to buy anymore.

SMC EZConnect SMC2602W is fine.  It's PLX based and has a PCMCIA card
inside that you can remove if you want.  The MAC chip is 3841.  The
firmware was quite old (0.8.3 or something), so I reflashed it with 1.4.9
(s1010409.hex).  Now it's working with HostAP just fine.

The list of IDs in hostap_plx.c can give you more ideas.  As for native
PCI cards, try searching Froogle for "Prism 2.5 PCI":

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=Prism+2.5+PCI&btnG=Froogle+Search

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin