PATCH: Operational rates

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Sat Apr 12 00:23:05 EDT 2003

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 05:08:39PM +0300, Jussi Mäki wrote:

> > > This patch adds prism2_param 33 to set tx_rate_control to bitmap
> > > specified so you can set specific rates, syntax is exactly the same as in
> > > basic_rates.
> >
> > What would this be used for? 'iwconfig wlan0 rate <val>' is already
> > implemented and is the standard way of setting that value.
>
> True, but the reason i want this is to lock rates to 5.5Mbps and 11Mbps so
> when large number of clients is connected the ap doesnt need to jump back
> and forth between different modulations..

OK, that seems to be a value that is not supported by iwconfig rate
command. Since I already added iwpriv param for setting basic rate set,
I will add your patch for operational TX rate setting as a similar bit
map. In the future, it might be useful to change these to be normal
wireless ext ioctls, i.e., new or modified ioctl for setting and getting
basic and operational rate sets as bit maps of supported rate list
(iwlist rate).

Jean, do you have an opinion on this? Setting TX rate to 5.5 + 11, but
not 1 and 2 Mbps seems reasonable configuration in some environments and
basic rate set configuration would be useful for Master mode (it is even
required in Wi-Fi certification of an AP).