Accounting support for Radius

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Wed Dec 18 00:06:06 EST 2002

On Sat, Nov 23, 2002 at 07:01:46PM +1100, Marek Roy wrote:

> 	Has anyone started to add any Accounting support to ieee802_1x.c
> 	yet?  It would be nice to have this feature in Hostapd. (802.1x)

Yes, I have started and also finished ;-). Current CVS version of
hostapd supports RADIUS Accounting (RFC 2866). I have tested this
successfully with FreeRADIUS, but if someone happens to test it with
other RADIUS servers, I would be interested in test results. Actually,
same goes for 802.1x authentication server since I have only used
FreeRADIUS for that, too.

Accounting support in hostapd should work with and without 802.1x. An
example command line for running without .1x and using local RADIUS
accounting server:

./hostapd -o127.0.0.1 -A127.0.0.1 -E12345678 wlan0

-o own address for NAS-IP-Address
-A RADIUS Accounting server IP address
-E shared secret with accounting server

I haven't yet tested accounting with 802.1x, but it should work. You can
use either the same RADIUS server as both authentication server and
accounting server or use different servers for auth/acct.