Still no ap action going on here :( help please.

Linux Rocks! linux at rocksolidnetworks.com
Fri Dec 13 03:35:10 EST 2002

Manjunathan, other hostappers....

        Hi. I tried blah and any on both linux and windows workstations. I
belive the
any essid is a reserved/key word which tells the software/device to just use
any essid it can find. wep is definetly disabled (iwconfig says so, and I
havnt made any keys for it...).
        I went to the LUG meeting tonite, we have an ap runnig there, so I
brought my
laptop, and 3 hard drives (they pull out easily). I started the laptop with
the windows drive first. It promptly prompted me with a message telling me
its connected to the AP... I pulled up the proxim software, and found I had
associated, and an excelent signal strength. Woo Hoo!
        I swapped out the hard disk, and tried the hostap (in
Infrastructer/managed
mode) no luck :( I tried the orinoco_cs module too... no luck! I tried them
both using the previous kernel/modules (2.4.19-rc3)... no luck.
        I did notice that when I put it in managed mode, I got some odd
errors!
wlan0: hfa384x_cmd: entry still in list? (entry=c10b1220, type=0, res=0)
wlan0: hfa384x_cmd: command was not completed (res=0, entry=c10b1220, type=0,
cmd=0x0002, param0=0x0000)
wlan0: MAC port 0 reseting failed
I dont know what that means... but it dosnt look good!
I also noticed this:
hostap_cs: index 0x01: Vcc 5.0, irq 3, io 0x0100-0x013f
The card is suposed to be a 3.3 volt card (but my laptop doesnt support that I
guess...) however it does work in windows (yeah... I hate it when people say
that too!)

I can try setting the ssid to Super-wlan, but I just dont think its going to
make any difference. it shouldnt be any better than blah.

Once again, I have not seen this card work at all in linux, no matter wether I
use hostap, orinoco, ad-hoc, infrastrucure/managed or master modes. I think
Ive tried every possible combination, used 4 different kernel sources
(2.4.18, 2.4.19,2.4.19-rc3, 2.4.20)
What can I possibly be doing wrong!

Jamie