Problems with the last CVS version

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Wed Dec 4 22:01:02 EST 2002

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 01:04:45AM +0100, Victor Aleo wrote:

> I have the next problem when a station tx data frames to the AP (both
> running the last CVS version):
>
> wlan0: RX: dropped FCSErr frame (status=01)
> wlan0: RX: dropped FCSErr frame (status=2001)
> wlan0: RX: unknown MACPort 5

Are you using bridging or having wlan0 configured to promiscuous mode?
The patch for adding support to station mode promiscuous sniffing and
multicast caused these things to be printed. Previously firmware dropped
those frames before they hit the driver.

I might revert that patch as far as AP mode is concerned, i.e., not to
set promiscuous mode in Host AP mode. It is not needed anyway since
802.11 AP is already receiving all data frames in its own BSS.

> FCS stands for Frame Check Sequence, if I'm not wrong, but I do not know
> what is the problem. I did not have problems with the 2002-10-12 version
> of the driver. At the end, more than a half of the packets are not
> transmitted. Moreover, the driver decreases the date bit rate of the
> station from 11 to 1 Mbps.

That might be something else.. I would have assumed that those FCS
errors would not cause this kind of problems (unless printing them is
using too much CPU power). If you would like to test something before I
change the CVS version, you could just comment out
HFA384X_RID_PROMISCUOUSMODE setting in hostap_hw.c function
prism2_setup_rids(). It should at least remove those "dropped FCSErr
frame" messages and reduce the number of "unknown MACPort" errors.