VPN Endpoint security

msenkbeil at c-gconsulting.com msenkbeil at c-gconsulting.com
Fri Jan 4 00:30:02 EST 2008

Wow, that Jon Carnes is quite an ornery guy.  Sounds like the typical cheap
IT manager I run into in the business.

I really don't think of myself as typical, but perhaps I am.  I know that
the folks in my company really appreciate my good business sense as well as
my technical savvy.  In truth, I do not waste my company's money or
resources (feel free to call that being cheap).  I do deliver targeted
solutions to specific problems.  Part of those solutions is longevity.

I already have several VPN solutions in place that work for my company.
These legacy systems work superbly and cost much less than any solution I
have seen either of you mention.  The value-add of IPSec devices grows
daily, and the prices drop.  I am patient.

I too am looking for the ultimate home gateway that can do basic, true
firewalling and act as an IPSec client itself, allowing routing for home
devices like PCs and IP phones.  $400 is about the best I can find.  I've
seen the 3Com OfficeConnect Firewall 25 plus a 10 user VPN client do the
job.  Have you seen other devices?

I agree that the $400 up front is far cheaper than using a PC client, not to
mention it won't even allow flexibility of other IP devices like the IP
phone to participate in the VPN connection.

I disagree with you here, but then I have actually done the tests.  I would
rather spend $100 on a LinkSys Router and gain the same benefit for my
employees.  The reason I'm willing to pay more for the LinkSys (over say
Zone Alarm) is that I like the value-add of seperating the security/firewall
from the users box, and I especially like the easy configuration and low
maintence.

Please don't forward this to the list or to Jon.  Thanks.

Michael L. Senkbeil, CNE, MCSE
C&G Consulting
http://www.c-gconsulting.com
Work: (262) 522-8248   Fax: (262) 522-8228
----- Forwarded by Michael Senkbeil/c-g on 03/28/2001 02:39 PM -----

Now you are talking sense.

Yes, there is a value-add to having the router, firewall, and vpn all rolled
into one hardware device that can be centrally managed.  At $400 it is too
expensive for use by our individual users, but well under what we would
spend to bring one of our satellite offices on-line.

This would be a good substitute for our current scheme of connecting
satellites via IPTunnel/SecureShell.  Indeed I looked at doing so just
recently and was very disappointed at the currently available technology and
cost.

I anticipate the technology maturing, and the price dropping dramatically
over the next two years.  So look for us to move to IPSec sometime within
that two year period.

Still our end users will be using PPTP from home.  At least for awhile.

Jon Carnes