[VPN] Re: Avaya VSU's

Brian Bruns bruns at 2mbit.com
Thu Jun 8 15:11:32 EDT 2006

On Thursday, June 08, 2006 2:55 PM [EST], Chad Heskett wrote:

> I thought of the same thing Brian. So I tested this at the remote
> sites. I unhooked the VSU and run directly off of the Cable Modem and
> I was getting great bandwidth. 5Mbps down easily. I hook up to the
> VSU and it sinks to
> 1.5Mbps or slower. We have a full Gig fiber coming into our main
> building where our central VSU is. (Avaya VSU 2000)

Great bandwidth to where though?  Are you accessing the same files/setup
at your home site from the remote site during the test, as you do when
the VPN is in place?

In my experience from building/running an ISP, just beause you have gig
fiber running somewhere, doesn't mean your source of the fiber has the
bandwidth on the backend to the main backbones/private peering to
support it (or that their provider/peering has it either).

An excellent example - had a network setup with one T1 from {major cable
provider}, one T3 from {major cable provider's other office} combined
with T1s from {major backbone providers}.  Had a customer on a cable
modem from same {major cable provider}, and due to their (unusual)
routing setup for customer cable modems, the traffic actually ended up
going through the {major backbone provider} T1 rather then the larger T3
pipe that happened to be from {major cable provider}, seriously killing
any performance benefit of being on the same network.

--
Brian Bruns
http://www.sosdg.org     /     http://www.ahbl.org