[VPN] Re: Avaya VSU's

Brian Bruns bruns at 2mbit.com
Thu Jun 8 14:48:04 EDT 2006

On Wednesday, June 07, 2006 8:51 AM [EST], Chad Heskett wrote:

> Just a little more background info. We have an Avaya VSU 2000 (we were
> running a 10000 but decided to try a 2000) at the main office. All of
> our remote sites have Avaya 5x or SG5  VSU's. All machines in the
> remote sites are constantly on our network. So it really isn't "one"
> application. For an example, one of our sites has Cox Cable. The
> account is for 6MB down and 1MB up. Doing some speed tests show some
> machines in the 1.5MB down  and 500kb up range. While others are
> clear down to 200kb down and 500kb up. Sometimes I wonder if it isn't
> the NIC on certain machines or maybe the switches they are plugged
> into. Thanks to all of you who are throwing suggestions out there. I
> really do appreciate it.

How much bandwidth is at the primary location which is the main
concentrator for these remote sites?  How many hops are there between
the main office and some of the remote offices?

If you can transfer files locally over the lan at normal speeds for
10/100/1000BaseT, then its most likely not the NIC or switches at fault.

Throw into the mix that cable modem service gets slower as more
customers are placed on the same feed as you, so if your in an area with
alot of cable modem customers, that could seriously affect bandwidth.

There is alot that could be happening - more information is good.

--
Brian Bruns
http://www.sosdg.org     /     http://www.ahbl.org