[VPN] Re: New Cisco VPN client - problems making MAPI connectionsto Exchange mailboxes

Alastair Morrison alastair.morrison at strath.ac.uk
Thu Jul 6 09:26:46 EDT 2006

Many thanks for your suggestion Aida.

It did make a difference both on the LAN and using dial up. MAPI
connections to the troublesome mailboxes work once 'Enable start before
logon' is on in the VPN client.

However I am not keen to make this part of the VPN client release for
users for the following reason.

Using 'Enable start before logon' worked from a PC on which the owners
of the troublesome mailboxes already had an AD profile. They already had
such a profile because they had previously logged onto the domain from
that PC while on the LAN (not using the VPN).

However in the case of home users who have never logged onto the domain
from their home PC and do not already have an AD user profile on that
home client machine, the first logon from the PC and creation of the
domain user profile on it will need to be done during a VPN session.

I have just experimented with this and although a successfully VPN
connection was made (by virtue of 'start before logon', and AD
credentials were supplied in the logon box, the machine hung after that
(presumably something was timing out while trying to authenticate and/or
create the profile).

If this happens using the VPN over the LAN I would not hold out much
hope of it succeeding over a 56kbps dial-up connection (we still have
many such users).

Therefore it would seem better to avoid logging in to the AD domain when
using the VPN,

Any thoughts on how this can be avoided but the original aim of a MAPI
connection achieved for the problematic users/mailboxes? After all, as I
noted previously, for some users/mailboxes it is not necessary to logon
to the domain and even for those for which, with the new VPN client, it
does now seem necessary, it was not so with the previous VPN client.

Thanks for any further help.

Alastair

alastair.morrison at strath.ac.uk
Strathclyde University