[VPN] VPN; how do you know it's reliable?

Malcolm Sperry imagineering1 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 22:40:06 EST 2006

Could someone help me with this? I'm a writer working in the area of vote
security and have been coming up with some out of the box solutions to the
problem of the stolen vote.See www.howtorescueamerica.com for a couple of
them.

About four years ago I began to notice some rather strange things
assocciated with my internet connection. I operate wireless because I live
on a boat that is anchored in a bay in the western part of the US. It is
anchored only a mile or so away from a military complex.

I assumed from the beginning that what I do was being monitored and frankly,
niaively didn't mind. You see I thought government had an overriding
interest and that it was reasonable for me to put up with such an intrusion
for the sake of the security of this country.

The 'strange things' I noticed began the very day I went to post an email to
various politco-literary websites asking if they would publish an article
that was eventually published by centrexnews, an on-line experiment of the
Washington Post. The article was called How To Save America and was very
well received.

After that I began to post other rather "creative" solutions to the problems
we're facing and just when I'd go to post them, my troubles with my internet
connection would begin again. I mean disconnects, switching to other SSIDs
and undelivered email.

I can only guess at the source of my troubles, but it seems unlikely anyone
would tip their hand by interfering with someone excercising their first
amendment rights in what must be a highly monitored area such as mine.
Therefore, I've begun to suspect some government agency or over sealous
individual within an agency of interfering with the normal process of
democracy.

Is this what it all is going to come too? We give government lattitude to
monitor only to have significant communications interfered with. That is why
I'm writing you today.

I'd like to get a VPN. I tried the big VPN service whose name I won't
mention. It seemed OK, but for some reason decided to go with another
service in Canada called Findnot. God, talk about a time. From the
beginning, everytime I'd get on with Findnot my connection would be knocked
around. Finally I gave up trying and began to wonder why the same thing
hadn't happened with the other service.

So, I guess my question is; can anyone recommend a VPN service that I can
rely on, and maybe more important, how do you know if it is truly reliable?
Thanks/mac