[VPN] General VPN support question.

Little, Mike (BHS) Mlittle at BHSI.com
Thu Sep 8 14:14:13 EDT 2005

All,

I enjoy all of the technical guidance that this group provides, however I
have a vpn related question that falls in the area of general management
that I am looking for some opinions on.  I'm wondering at what point a
company should assign someone to full vpn administrative duties.  That is, I
manage our VPN and RAS servers along with a myriad of other projects and day
to day network administration.  Needless to say, I'm not getting the time
that I think needs to be given to properly manage remote access.

We are a company of approximately 20,000 employees and 10,000 users.  I have
hundreds of vpn client accounts to manage along with 20 peer-to-peer
connections.  We are in the healthcare industry and remote access is
critical and has to remain as secure as possible.  I want to dedicate more
time to it but I'm not being given that opportunity.  I just keep getting
other tasks and projects handed to me.

I'm looking for opinions from others in similar situations and possible
guidelines, if they exist, that I can use to convince my administration that
this is important enough to require a full time administrator to manage
properly.  I'm wondering what other companies are doing and whether my
gripes and concerns are justified.  Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

This email, facsimile, or letter and any files or attachments transmitted
with it contains information that is confidential and proprietary. This
information is intended only for the use of the individual(s) and
entity(ies) to whom it is addressed. If you are the intended recipient,
further disclosures are prohibited without proper authorization. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, printing, or use of
this information is strictly prohibited and possibly a violation of federal
or state law. If you have received this information in error, please notify
Baptist Healthcare System, Inc. immediately at 502-896-3020 or via email to
the sender.