[VPN] Is IP address spoofing possible with ESP transport mode?

Siddhartha Jain losttoy2000 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 8 02:48:31 EST 2005

The need for origin authenticity is to avoid
man-in-the-middle attacks where an attacker sits in
the middle of the conversation and *proxies* the
connection.

With ESP in trasnport mode, that isn't possible
because the payload is encrypted so a
man-in-the-middle wouldn't be able to grab the data.

Spoofing IP addresses with Transport-mode ESP will
only give you routing headaches ;)

- Siddhartha (CISSP)