[VPN] Sonicwall SOHO2 <-- vpn --> open/free bsd

Michael Ray miker at cotse.com
Fri Mar 26 09:50:01 EST 2004

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 16:19:39 -0600, you wrote:

>We currently have two or three sonicwalls, but no vpn licenses.  We
>would like to get a few vpns set up, but we have a few questions about
>the sonicwalls before we drop $$$ on vpn licenses.
>
>First of all, we are going to move away from the sonicwalls at some
>point.  Ideally, we would get the VPN licenses, and as we phase out the
>sonicwalls we would use them to connect back to some sort of vpn server
>ideally running openbsd or freebsd.
>
>My question is, how standard is sonicwalls ipsec implementation?  Can
>they interoperate with a bsd vpn server?

SonicWall's IPSEC is standards based and should work with most IPSEC
implementations. The link from SonicWall as step by step how-to
documents with a number of different clients, VPN devices and
implementations. There is not a *BSD listed but there is a Redhat with
FreeS/WAN. It will be straight forward to configure the *BSD box to do
the same.

SonicWALL - User Manual, Security Appliances, Interoperability
http://www.sonicwall.com/services/VPN_documentation.html

Here is a mailing list thread on OpenBSD to SonicWall from last year.
The end result was it worked.
http://www.allard.nu/pipermail/openbsd-ipsec-clients/2003-March/000898.html
http://www.allard.nu/pipermail/openbsd-ipsec-clients/2003-March/thread.html#898

VPN(8) - OpenBSD System Manager's Manual
vpn - configuring the system for virtual private networks
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=vpn&sektion=8&manpath=OpenBSD+Current

How to setup IPsec interoperable for Linux, OpenBSD and Kame/*BSD
http://www.rommel.stw.uni-erlangen.de/~hshoexer/ipsec-howto/HOWTO.html

FreeBSD Handbook - 10.10 VPN over IPsec
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ipsec.html

>tia,