[VPN] NetScreen / Juniper

Travis Watson travis at traviswatson.com
Wed Mar 3 07:30:31 EST 2004

Pete,

Others have commented on this and I agree with what they've said largely, but
for my 2 cents...

Juniper does very well with the ISPs and big portals, not much anywhere else.
They bought Netscreen not just for the security aspect, but because they can
absorb their reseller channels.  Plus, they're both ASIC companies, so they
can barrow from each other in development.

For Netscreen, the advantage is that they can be associated with a company
that is known for high-end routing and a company that already has their hooks
in some big carriers.  Netscreen has always been afraid of Cisco (rightly so)
and this gives them some cushion.

Juniper/Netscreen still has a looooong way to go if they want to seriously
compete with Cisco (i.e. edge routers, edge switches, wireless), but this
merger gets them much closer.  And, with this merger, I would say that it's
the final death blow to any firewall not on ASIC or running a
micro-kernel/controller architecture.  So the question isn't really "should I
put an investment in Netscreen or Cisco?" but "should I put an investment
into any company that is not Netscreen or Cisco?"  I just can't imagine how
Checkpoint, Sidewinder, etc. can be viable products 5 years from now unless
they significantly re-architect their systems very soon.

As for Netscreen/Juniper, they aren't leaving anytime soon.

Regards,

Travis