[VPN] vpn tunnels shares one IP

Brian Bruns bruns at 2mbit.com
Thu Jun 17 16:29:22 EDT 2004

On Thursday, June 17, 2004 10:25 AM [EDT], Qian, Roger
<roger.qian at sholodge.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> Can a VPN host accept two or more remote clients connection which
> shares one public IP simultaneously?
> Thanks,
> Roger

It depends on the type of VPN you are using.

In my experience with a PPTP VPN server, with more then one client
behind a NAT gateway (sharing the same IP), it can not properly
distinguish between traffic from each client, and will fail.  However,
there is supposedly a way to make this work, and requires a change on
the server end, on the client's end, and possibly as well the NAT
gateway.  I have not seen the 'fix' which makes it work personally, so I
can't vouch as to how hard it is to setup or if it fully works.

--
Brian Bruns
Open Solutions For A Closed World / Anti-Spam Resources

The Abusive Hosts Blocking List
http://www.ahbl.org