[VPN] Universal VPN client

Bill Yazji byazji at psualum.com
Sat Jul 17 10:03:43 EDT 2004

Boy, that wasn't a shameless plug - jeez..... :)

 I hope Juniper has some good stuff coming out, all of the trade rags
haven't been too friendly to their products in the past. Most of your mags
are pushing Aventail right now (which I've had positive experiences with).
As for SSL VPN - the market is still to infantile..... I personally have
tested boxes from multiple vendors, and each one seemed to be missing key
features that are required for an enterprise deployment.  Some vendors
choose to focus on management, but not feature set - others, the opposite.
Tons of features, but it was an admin nightmare.

Besides, SSL VPN vs. IPSec - no comparison for security.  IPSec wins hands
down.  There are too many hijacks out there that can easily grab your SSL
credentials, making SSL authentication unsafe.  All of your problems you
list below about NAT traversal problems, proxy conflicts, blah blah - can
all be easily rectified if using the right technology.  I deployed a 17,000
user IPSec VPN solution for the company I work for.  There were hurdles, but
it was because we were on the bleeding edge 2 years ago, now - it's a cake
walk..

If you read any Gartner or Burton article, they are ALL saying that there is
no "one size fits all" architecture... the smart IT manager will deploy both
- SSL and IPSec to the right user groups.

~Bill

  _____