[VPN] VPN Help!

Ryan Malayter rmalayter at bai.org
Mon Sep 29 17:52:48 EDT 2003

Asymmetric DSL connections are typically 768 kbps or 1.5 MBps in the
"downstream" direction and 128kbps or 256 kbps in the "upstream"
direction. Since at least one of your sites is always sending "upstream"
in a VPN link, you're limited to the upstream bandwidth for your VPN
throughput.

If you have 128 Kbps as your upstream bandwidth on your ADSL
connections, you're getting the same VPN speed as ISDN, although web
surfing and other downloading activities outside of the VPN will be
faster.

So, I think you'll either want to look at switching your links to
business-class Symmetric DSL (SDSL), which typically 384 kbps in both
directions, or at least moving to faster ADSL that has 256kbps or more
upstream bandwidth. As long as you stay with the same ISP, this switch
shouldn't be too expensive.

Regards,
Ryan Malayter
Sr. Network & Database Administrator
Bank Administration Institute
Chicago, Illinois, USA
PGP Key: http://www.malayter.com/pgp-public.txt
Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to
realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.
     -Ronald Reagan