[VPN] PPTP VPN on Win2003 Enterprise server

Craig Higgins craig at proactive.co.nz
Sun Sep 14 00:36:05 EDT 2003

Hi there,

I am trying to setup a dial-up PPTP VPN from a XP client to a 2003 server.
The VPN only has to get to the server as there is no inside LAN  - therefore I am using only one NIC.
The server is connected to the internet through a router using DSL - I have opened port 1723 and mapped it to the internal IP address [& port 1723] I am using for the server.
I have followed the instructions in 2003 help and have double checked the access policy, user rights, and RRAS configurations.

The error I get in the event log on the server tells me that "The user has connected and failed to authenticate on port VPN3-127. The line has been disconnected."
The error at the client end is "Access was denied because the user name and password was not valid on the domain"

I have try changing the authentication protocols, i.e. from ms-chap v2 to EAP, and made sure the changes are reflected in the server settings, the access policy and the client configuration - to no avail.
The server is not using Active Directory & it doesn't seem to matter whether the dial-in properties of the user account are set to "allow access" or "control by access policy".

I'm stumped...any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Craig.