[VPN] ipsec and nat

Siddhartha Jain losttoy2000 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Sep 1 12:49:16 EDT 2003

Check for NAT support in FreeSWAN. IPSec usually does not work from behind a NAT because NAT fudges the packet headers while IPSec checks the packet headers for integrity. But IPSec product vendors support IPSec over NAT using TCP/UDP to carry IPSec traffic.

You could also look for an out of the box solution like a low-end PIX, Sonicwall or some other IPSec appliance. I am sure it would work out cheaper than the cost of the Linux server on which you plan to run FreeSWAN unless you are using some old PC (which IMHO is fine for FreeSWAN use) for that.

>From the FreeSWAN FAQ:
Does FreeS/WAN support NAT traversal?
Vanilla FreeS/WAN does not, but thanks to Mathieu Lafon and Arkoon Network Security, there's a patch to support this.

  a.. patch and documentation
  b.. Super FreeS/WAN incorporates this and other user-contributed patches.
The NAT traversal patch has some issues with PSKs, so you may wish to authenticate with RSA keys, or X.509 (requires a patch which is also included in Super FreeS/WAN). Doing the latter also has advantages when dealing with large numbers of clients who may be behind NAT; instead of having to make an individual Roadwarrior connection for each virtual IP, you can use the "rightsubnetwithin" parameter to specify a range. See these rightsubnetwithin instructions.

HTH,

Siddhartha - Muscat 23.36N 58.38E