[VPN] Windows 2003 VPN

Basim Jaber bjaber at ipass.com
Mon Oct 27 11:11:34 EST 2003

Tait,

The Windows Server 2003 "Network Access Quarantine" feature is documted in
full at the following URL:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/overview/quarantine.mspx

Be forewarned, however, that is requires a moderate to complex level of
scripting (depending on what you want to check for on the client PC).  It
also involves setting up appropriate remediation services (i.e. web server
for patch/software downloads, IAS 2003 (RADIUS), RRAS for Win2003, etc.

The Nortel Contivity VPN "TunnelGuard" feauture can do pretty much the same,
but does not involve scripting to the level of complexity (or at all, I
believe) as the Win2003 solution.

Lastly, please note that if you already have clients out there with Nortel
Contivity VPN Clients deployed and you want to end up using the Win2003
IPSec/LT2P VPN, then you have to uninstall the Nortel client as the IPSec
policy agent is disabled on the Nortel VPN Client.  If you use PPTP with
Win2003 RRAS, then you are downgrading in security (IPSec --> PPTP).  Not
wise.

My suggestion, stay with Nortel and use TunnelGuard.

--Basim
  _____

Basim S. Jaber
Senior Systems Engineer
Field Sales - Americas
iPass, Inc.     <mailto:bjaber at iPass.com> bjaber at iPass.com
(650) 232-4311

  _____